EU global response to HIV/AIDS: debate
On November 30, 2011
- Today we remember with great sadness the many thousands of innocent lives claimed by this terrible, wasteful disease.
- Shocking statistics show that there is still no decrease in the number of new infections within the EU.
- This is not good enough.
- HIV is an epidemic that affects all EU Member States and we have a great responsibility to those who live with HIV and AIDS.
- Later today I hope Parliament will adopt a resolution on the EU-s global response to HIV and AIDS.
- The resolution looks at all aspects of the EUs contribution to fighting HIV and AIDS including funding for research to find a vaccine.
- We need to deal with this disease which knows no borders, no race, no age and no gender.
- However this is a disease which we can control - especially through testing - and I am confident that we will one day find a cure.
- For now we have to raise public awareness in this battle, support civil groups in their work and continue sharing research.
- I am happy to say this resolution goes a long way towards these aims.
- The ECR group joins with all those across the globe in memory of friends, relatives and loved ones who have died as a result of contracting AIDS.
- We stand fully behind the drive to beat HIV and AIDS and to improve the lives of all those who live with it and reaffirm our commitment in this fight.